Tuesday 2 July 2013

02. Crawling, pulling, rotating, dragging


Yesterday I felt I jumped in the deep end with the animation. Looking back on it I did not achieve what I intended to and felt uncomfortable during it. The is good - it means I'm learning. With the hindsight I'm looking to remind myself of some of the basic ball techniques, the softness and the fun of animation before I go into the chunkiness of the bones, where subtlety will be all important. So for today I'm gave myself a different challenge. Still a walk cycle of sorts, but without legs, understanding the basic locomotion of a blob, similar to invertebrate molluscs. I gave myself an arc which this will follow. 
So along the arc there is a smaller 'tug' and a bigger 'drag'. Once I animated the 'body', I've felt confident enough to add the arms / tentacles to this character, thinking of the rotation of the 'shoulders'. The movement is a similar of swimming front crawl. I've reminded myself of the drag given on body push, gravity effect and silhouette importance. I think I may do another blob tomorrow, maybe with a drop just to consolidate before moving on to the next step.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate